I have often been told that Play Therapy sounds to fun to be effective! Here are some ways that Play Therapy can be used to help children and their families.
Play therapy can help children and their families:
- Process and begin work towards healing around past stressful or traumatic experiences
- Create a healthy and safe way to express emotions
- Encouraging communication around creative thoughts and ideas
- Foster development of healthy decision making skills
- Create boundaries to increase communication around concerns and problems
- Create an understanding and meaning around grief, loss, and change (separation, divorce, dating, remarriage, moving, natural disaster, job deployment etc.)
- Develop positive coping skills to develop new thoughts and behaviors.